If you do not understand English well, or if you are deaf or hard of hearing, you should inform the court and an interpreter will be sought. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, you will always be given an interpreter. The interpreter will only be available during the hearing, not for parts of the case that do not involve going to court.

If you need help to understand court proceedings, you can also ask for an intermediary to help you. The intermediary works to make sure everyone can follow court proceedings, understand what the court is asking of them, and make informed decisions. They often work with vulnerable parties including those with learning disabilities. In civil proceedings there are no specific rules stating whether vulnerable clients should be offered the use of an intermediary, and whether or not the Civil Procedure Rules should be amended is an issue that is currently being discussed. The intermediary’s duty is to the court; not to you.

Share Article

Go direct, improve your chances and save cost through Small Claims Portal today

  • Go direct to save on solicitors’ fees
  • We’ll find the right Barrister for you
  • 1000+ Barristers: all direct access specialists
  • Save up to 42% with fixed costs